Danko Jones Picks the Top Five “Daves” in Rock and Metal
Shakespeare once asked, “What’s in a name?” Well, a hell of a lot. Just ask vocalist-guitarist Danko Jones (pictured left) of the hard-rock group also named Danko Jones, who will release their new album, Rock and Roll Is Black and Blue, on October 9. “I’ve always had a fondness for people named Dave or David,” he says. “Whether it’s the Space Lord, Dave Wyndorf of Monster Magnet, rock pioneer David Johansen of The New York Dolls or wild man David Yow of The Jesus Lizard, I’ve always rocked out to Davids.” Here he compiles his list of the Top Five Daves.
5. David Bowie “Why isn’t David No. 1? Because of the brief time he changed his name to Ziggy Stardust. It tarnished the brand for Davids everywhere. But you can’t argue with his impeccable Low album.”
4. Dave Lombardo, SlayerΒ “‘Nuff said. How many people wish they came up with that drum break in ‘Angel Of Death’ or the intro to ‘Criminally Insane’? Everybody.”
3. Dave Mustaine, Megadeth “Already recognized as one of the greatest metal guitarists of all time if not the greatest, Dave wrote ‘The Four Horsemen,’ ‘Metal Militia,’ and ‘Leper Messiah’–not to mention ‘Wake Up Dead’ and ‘Holy Wars.’”
2. Dave Grohl, Foo Fighters “Being the drummer for Nirvana wasn’t enough for Dave. He had to go out and become a mega star as singer-guitarist for the Foo Fighters. And as an aside, he ups and does the incredible Probot project kicking every metal band’s ass in the process.”
1. David Lee Roth, Van Halen “The Ultimate Dave! David Lee Roth embodies what it’s like to be Dave. There was Dave the ‘Ice Cream Man.’ There was ‘Just A Gigolo’ Dave. There was even Dave TV! Hands down, the greatest Dave ever.”
Alert to All Users of the Disqus commenting system: Because of a recent global security issue, the Disqus website recommends that all users change their Disqus passwords. Heres a URL about the issue: http://engineering.disqus.com/2014/04/10/heartbleed.html