Interview: 10 Questions with Davey Richmond of Glamour Of The Kill
By Natalie Perez
We recently tracked down Davey Richmond, bassist/vocalist of England's Glamour Of The Kill, for a quick 10-question chat, Revolver-style.
Glamour Of The Kill are booked on the Inked Music Tour alongside Alesana and Vampires Everywhere!, and their debut full-length, The Summoning, was released this month via Entertainment One Music.
Below, Davey Richmond discusses the upcoming trek, the new album and plans for a follow-up release.
01. How did you come together, and what’s the origin of the band’s name?
We started in 2007. We had all gone to school together, so we played music for years. Then we started the band playing our own music. It just started from there, really. The band name was something else. A few years back, we were at a bar, all drunk with our friends in England. One of our friends had said, "Why don't you call yourselves Glamour Of The Kill?" which did have a good ring to it. So with us, we have those aspects of the heavier and clean vocals so the meaning would just be us as Glamour Of The Kill.
02. You guys have a unique sound. Which bands would you say influence you the most?
I think we take our influences from everywhere, like Metallica, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for My Valentine, As I Lay Dying. We're not scared to write music whether it'd be heavy or light like Katy Perry. So it's good to just be open-minded when today's music.
03. Tell me about the album name, The Summoning.
For our debut full-length, we wanted a name that would get everyone involved and have us get noticed. So we wanted that higher power. Even the acoustic track on the album is called "The Summoning," so that explains it.
04. Why was this album only available in the UK and not in the U.S.? Also, for the U.S. release, you changed the album artwork and the band's logo. Why?
Well, we didn't have a label in the U.S. to release it. We had just gotten signed with eOne Entertainment who had contacted us, so everyone can now hear it in the States. Everything is fitting really well. But everyone here in the UK are confused by it, saying, "Well, I thought you already released it." Well, we did, just not in the U.S. As for the art, we wanted to give it a fresh look because we weren't happy with our old logo. We're going to be using this new one from now on.
05. What's your favorite song from The Summoning?
I've got a lot of favorites and songs I'm proud of, but it would have to be the first single, "Feelin Alive." It has big riffs and a catchy chorus. So I'd have to say that one for sure.
06. What would you say is most different about this album?
I just think the whole sound of it has all of our influences, and you wouldn't expect my vocal style to be in, it but I think it works really well.
07. You're about to start a fantastic U.S. tour with Alesana and Vampires Everywhere! If you could think of one thing you'd like to accomplish through that tour, what would that be?
To meet and make new fans, new friends, show everyone who we are. We're Glamour Of The Kill!
08. What have you done to prepare yourselves for the tour?
We've practiced hard, always putting so much into our live shows. We just arrived in the U.S. yesterday, drinking a lot of beer and eating some good food, so we're just preparing ourselves that way. The guys of Alesana party hard, so we're getting ready for that [laughs].
09. How easy is it to keep the motivation going on a daily basis for Glamour Of The Kill?
It's quite easy really. We love touring so we're going to give it all we've got. It's just an amazing opportunity to be in America for the first time. It's awesome, so we just gota live for the moment.
10. What else do you have planned for the rest of this year?
We finish this U.S. tour on November 7. On November 8 we're heading into the studio to start recording our second full-length album, which is fully written. So we can't wait to have it done. We're really excited about it.
Keep up with Glamour Of The Kill at their Facebook page.
Southern Californian Natalie Perez has a fiery passion for music, writing and photography. Dying to know more? Connect with her via her own reality she calls Natalie’s World.