Revolver Golden Gods - Winners Announced!
The 3rd annual REVOLVER GOLDEN GODS AWARDS presented by Epiphone-- America’s only hard-rock and heavy-metal award show--announced this year’s winners last night at Club Nokia in Downtown Los Angeles. Highlights from the REVOLVER GOLDEN GODS AWARDS will be broadcast on VH1 Classic on Saturday, May 28.
The full list of winners and presenters for the 3rd ANNUAL REVOLVER GOLDEN GODS AWARDS is as follows:
- Hunted: The Demon’s Forge® Golden God Award: Alice Cooper (presented by Rob Zombie)
- Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award: Mötley Crüe (presented by Corey Taylor of Slipknot/Stone Sour.)
- Honorary Headbanger Award: William Shatner (presented by Scott Ian of Anthrax and The Damned Things and comedian Brian Posehn)
- Epiphone® Best Guitarists Award: Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance of Avenged Sevenfold (presented by Robb Flynn of Machine Head and Wayne Static of Static X)
- Drum Workshop® Best Drummer Award: Mike Portnoy for his work with Avenged Sevenfold (presented by Vinnie Paul of Pantera/HellYeah)
- Best New Band Award: Black Veil Brides (presented by Duff McKagan of Loaded/Velvet Revolver/Guns N’ Roses)
- Most Metal Athlete Award: Skateboarder Mike Vallely (presented by Chino Moreno of Deftones)
- Rockstar Energy® Best Vocalist Award: M. Shadows of Avenged Sevenfold (presented by Taylor Momsen of The Pretty Reckless and Sebastian Bach)
- Samson/Zoom® Best Live Band Award: Rammstein (presented by Charlie Benante of Anthrax and Mike Portnoy)
- Eagle Rock® Comeback of the Year Award: Murderdolls (presented by David Coverdale of Whitesnake)
- Affliction® Album of the Year Award: Avenged Sevenfold (presented by Jerry Cantrell and Mike Inez of Alice in Chains)
Presented by REVOLVER, America’s leading hard-rock and metal magazine, and hosted by CHRIS JERICHO (WWE, Fozzy, Dancing With the Stars), the award show featured special appearances by ALICE COOPER, MÖTLEY CRÜE, ROB ZOMBIE, actor WILLIAM SHATNER, GEEZER BUTLER (Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell), DUFF McKAGAN (Loaded/Velvet Revolver/Guns N’ Roses), COREY TAYLOR (Slipknot/Stone Sour), STEVE JONES (Sex Pistols), DAVE NAVARRO (Jane’s Addiction), CHINO MORENO (Deftones), VINNIE PAUL (Pantera/HellYeah), SCOTT IAN (Anthrax/The Damned Things), DAVID COVERDALE (Whitesnake/Deep Purple), STEVEN ADLER (Guns N’ Roses), MAX CAVALERA (Soulfly/Cavalera Conspiracy/Sepultura), JAMEY JASTA (Hatebreed/Kingdom of Sorrow), TAYLOR MOMSEN (The Pretty Reckless, TV’s Gossip Girl), MIKE PORTNOY (Dream Theater/Avenged Sevenfold), GILBY CLARKE (Guns N’ Roses), and members of ALICE IN CHAINS, FOO FIGHTERS, MEGADETH, STATIC-X, DETHKLOK, FEAR FACTORY, MACHINE HEAD, WE ARE THE FALLEN, MURDERDOLLS, SUICIDE SILENCE, and WINDS OF PLAGUE. The evening also featured appearances from comedian BRIAN POSEHN, skateboarders MIKE VALLELY and CHRIS COLE, MMA fighters DAN HARDY and JOSH BARNETT, WENDY DIO (wife of Ronnie James Dio) and many more.
Live performances for the 2011 REVOLVER GOLDEN GODS AWARDS included musical sets by ALICE COOPER (their first LA appearance in 40 years, fresh off their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame), LOADED (featuring DUFF McKAGAN of GUNS N’ ROSES and VELVET REVOLVER), Elvis Presley/Johnny Cash-inspired metal group VOLBEAT, host CHRIS JERICHO’s band FOZZY, fast-rising metalcore newcomers ASKING ALEXANDRIA, and hometown heroes AVENGED SEVENFOLD who closed out the night with a blistering set.
Special collaborations last night included: AVENGED SEVENFOLD performing PANTERA’s “Mouth for War” with Vinnie Paul and GUNS N’ ROSES’ “It’s So Easy” with DUFF McKAGAN, STEVE JONES and COREY TAYLOR performing JUDAS PRIEST’s “Electric Eye” with LOADED. SEBASTIAN BACH performing SKID ROW’s “Youth Gone Wild” with ASKING ALEXANDRIA. SCOTT IAN of ANTHRAX performing DUSTY SPRINGFIELD’s “I Only Want To Be With You” with VOLBEAT. MAX CALAVERA, JAMEY JASTA, and MIKE VALLELY joining DEVILDRIVER for a salute to BLACK FLAG.
“Lady Gaga tweets about it. James Durbin brings it on American Idol. And our host Chris Jericho represents it on Dancing With the Stars. Metal is taking over the mainstream, and the Revolver Golden Gods is its biggest, baddest celebration. If you missed the party, punch yourself in the balls… Or pick up the Golden Gods issue of Revolver on May 24, tune in to VH1 Classic on May 28, and we’ll see you next year!”
--Revolver magazine Editor-in-Chief Brandon Geist