The 20 Best Albums of 2014
It's that time of the year. Here is Revolver's list of the 20 Best Albums of 2014. Check out a review of each record below and let us know what you think in the comments!
1. Slipknot, '.5: The Gray Chapter' "There was something almost unreal about listening to ‘.5: The Gray Chapter’ for the first time. Not so much the music itself (though some of that is indeed quite the mind-fuck, as well), but rather the fact that it even exists in the first place..." READ MORE
2. At the Gates, 'At War with Reality' "Nearly 20 years after the release of their melodic deathmetal masterpiece, 'Slaughter of the Soul,' At the Gates delivered the rip-roaring comeback album they swore they’d never make..." READ MORE
3. Of Mice & Men, 'Restoring Force' "If you buy into the notion that a third album is make-or-break time for a band’s longevity, ‘Restoring Force’ lets us know Of Mice & Men plan to be around for awhile..." READ MORE
4. Linkin Park, 'The Hunting Party' "Having drifted deep into experimental/electronic territory on their two previous albums, 2010’s ‘A Thousand Suns’ and 2012’s ‘Living Things,’ Linkin Park made a ballsy move in 2014 by delivering their heaviest record yet..." READ MORE
5. Motionless in White, 'Reincarnate' "The Pennsylvanian gothcore quintet’s third LP finds the band exploring novel musical territory while staying true to its established sound..." READ MORE
6. Behemoth, 'The Satanist' "The Polish blackened death-metal outfit’s 10th album is the definition of “blood, sweat, and tears"... READ MORE
7. Mastodon, 'Once More 'Round the Sun' "After four brilliant prog-sludge concept albums, Mastodon veered towards straight-ahead hard-rock territory with 2011’s 'The Hunter,' and the Georgia boys doubled down on that direction for 'Once More ’Round the Sun'... READ MORE
8. Judas Priest, 'Redeemer of Souls' "Whether Judas Priest were aware that this album might be their last and wanted to go out strong, or whether they were trying to redeem themselves in the eyes of fans dismayed by their 2008 double-disc rock opera ‘Nostradamus,’ the metal gods..." READ MORE
9. Machine Head, 'Bloodstone & Diamonds' "Oakland metal band Machine Head’s last album, 2011’s 'Unto the Locust,' was one of those masterworks that’s only supposed to happen once in a career. But Robb Flynn & Co.’s latest record..." READ MORE
10. Every Time I Die, 'From Parts Unknown' "Bursting with ideas and ambition, Every Time I Die’s seventh studio album is a near-perfect blend of kinetic intensity and anything-goes writing..." READ MORE
11. Godflesh, 'A World Lit Only by Fire' "Unlike many comeback records, Godflesh’s 2014 album—the industrial-metal pioneers’ first new full-length since 2001—manages to both satisfy the hunger for the band’s signature sound and take that sound to a new level of confidence and power..." READ MORE
12. The Pretty Reckless, 'Going to Hell' "On her second full-length, ex–'Gossip Girl’ star Taylor Momsen, remains as provocative as ever..." READ MORE
13. Killer Be Killed, 'Killer Be Killed' "What’s the worst that could have happened when members of Mastodon, The Dillinger Escape Plan, and Max freakin’ Cavalera recorded an album together?..." READ MORE
14. Crosses, 'Crosses' "The latest in a series of intriguing side projects and collaborations from Chino Moreno, Crosses—or †††—finds the creatively restless Deftones frontman teaming up with Far guitarist Shaun Lopez and multi-instrumentalist Chuck Doom for a darkly alluring drift..." READ MORE
15. Black Label Society, 'Catacombs of the Black Vatican' "Hirsute heavy-metal berserker Zakk Wylde’s first studio album in four years is earth-quaking enough to raise the dead from their own catacombs..." READ MORE
16. Black Veil Brides, 'Black Veil Brides' "When news broke that glamcore rebels Black Veil Brides had aligned themselves with producer Bob Rock—he of the “Black Album” and ‘Dr. Feelgood’—for Album No. 4, most fans likely figured that the results would fall closer to Crüe than Metallica..." READ MORE
17. Body Count, 'Manslaughter' "Ice-T may be better known as a TV detective than an O.G. rapper now, but that hasn’t taken any of the edge off his game..." READ MORE
18. Suicide Silence, 'You Can't Stop Me' "For their aptly named first album since the passing of vocalist Mitch Lucker, deathcore stalwarts Suicide Silence stomped into the future..." READ MORE
19. Godsmack, '1000hp' "Godsmack have allowed for four-year gaps between albums before, but the last one nearly saw the band members go their separate ways. Fortunately, the Massachusetts metalheads got their act together..." READ MORE
20. Triptykon, 'Melana Chasmata' "With their second full-length, Triptykon—led by Hellhammer/Celtic Frost mastermind Tom Gabriel Fischer—have crafted an epic monument to darkness..." READ MORE
2. At the Gates, \'At War with Reality\'
6. Behemoth, \'The Satanist\'
15. Black label Society, \'Catacombs of the Black Vatican\'
16. Black Veil Brides, \'Black Veil Brides\'
17. Body Count, \'Manslaughter\'
14. Crosses, \'Crosses\'
10. Every Time I Die, \'From Parts Unknown\'
11. Godflesh, \'A World Lit Only by Fire\'
19. Godsmack, \'1000HP\'
8. Judas Priest, \'Redeemer of Souls\'
13. Killer Be Killed, \'Killer Be Killed\'
4. Linkin Park, \'The Hunting Party\'
9. Machine Head, \'Bloodstone & Diamonds\'
7. Mastodon, \'One More \'Round the Sun\'
5. Motionless in White, \'Reincarnate\'
3. Of Mice & Men, \'Restoring Force\'
1. Slipknot, \'.5: The Gray Chapter\'
18. Suicide Silence, \'You Can\'t Stop Me\'
12. The Pretty Reckless, \'Going to Hell\'
20. Triptykon, \'Melana Chasmata\'