Atlanta prog-metal trailblazers Mastodon are turning 20 this year, and they're celebrating the milestone in style, with a lavish, 16-track rarities collection, Medium Rarities, including classic covers, soundtrack contributions, instrumentals, B-sides, live recordings and previously unreleased originals. Falling in the latter category is the album's lead single, "Fallen Torches," which the band unleashed today — blast it above via its visualizer video. An old-school rager sure to satisfy fans of the group's heavier fare, the cut features guest vocals by Mastodon's "fifth member" Scott Kelly of Neurosis. "Fallen Torches" was recorded in Atlanta in 2019 and was originally planned to be drop in support of a European tour, but the track was delayed so the band could focus on the release of "Stairway to Nick John," a Led Zeppelin cover that they offered up in tribute to their late, long-time manager Nick John.
Due out September 11th, Medium Rarities will be released on all formats including a pink vinyl 2LP pressing set to drop later, on October 16th. The album is available for pre-order now along with an instant download of "Fallen Torches." See the cover art (by acclaimed artist Richey Beckett) and track listing below.
Another new Mastodon song, "Rufus Lives," will be included in the highly anticipated upcoming movie Bill & Ted Face The Music. The track will also appear exclusively on the film's official soundtrack album.
Medium Rarities track listing:
1. Fallen Torches (Previously Unreleased)
2. A Commotion (Feist Cover)
3. Asleep in the Deep (Instrumental version)
4. Capillarian Crest (Live)
5. A Spoonful Weighs A Ton (The Flaming Lips Cover)
6. Toe To Toes (Instrumental version)
7. Circle of Cysquatch (Live)
8. Atlanta (Butthole Surfers Cover)
9. Jaguar God (Instrumental)
10. Cut You Up With A Linoleum Life (Aqua Teen Hunger Force)
11. Blood & Thunder (Live)
12. White Walker (from Game of Thrones mix tape)
13. Halloween (Instrumental version)
14. Crystal Skull (Live)
15. Orion (Metallica Cover)
16. Iron Tusk (Live)