DevilDriver recently announced Outlaws 'Til the End, their new album containing heavy-metal reinterpretations of outlaw country classics by Johnny Cash, Johnny Paycheck, Willie Nelson and more. The California band tapped numerous artists to assist on the 11-track effort, including Lamb of God's Randy Blythe and Mark Morton, Fear's Lee Ving, Fear Factory's Burton C. Bell, 36 Crazyfist's Brock Lindlow, Hank3 and Wednesday 13.
Ahead of Outlaws 'Til the End, DevilDriver have launched a new interview series featuring commentary on the album from both themselves and their special guests. The first segment finds Blythe, Ving, Hank3 and others discussing their personal introductions to outlaw country, and how their views on the genre have evolved over time.
"I was always a weird punk-rock kids out in the farmlands," recalls Blythe, who makes two guest appearances on Outlaws 'Til the End (on Willie Nelson's "Whiskey River" and Stan Jones' "Ghost Riders in the Sky"). As a kid growing up in rural Virginia, he was well familiar with the genre, but didn't grow into it until he reached adulthood.
"Coming to appreciate country music more as an adult, I definitely can identify with the lyrics a lot more than I could as a child, because country music is a lot about raw hardship and heartbreak," he explains. "There's a lot of darkness in that, and when you're a 12-year-old kid, it's really hard to understand the heartache of someone singing about their wife leaving them or something. You're a 12-year-old kid — you're still trying to figure out if you want to go BMX or talk to the cute girl down the street."
Outlaws 'Til the End hits shelves July 6th via Napalm. Pre-orders are live now at this location; read on for the album artwork and track listing.
DevilDriver - Outlaws 'Til the End track listing:
01. "Country Heroes" - Hank3 and Dez Fafara (orig. Hank Williams III)
02. "Whiskey River" - Randy Blythe, Mark Morton, and Dez Fafara (orig. Willie Nelson)
03. "Outlaw Man" - Dez Fafara and Neal Tiemann (orig. Eagles)
04. "Ghost Riders in the Sky" - John Carter Cash, Ana Cristina Cash, Randy Blythe, and Dez Fafara (orig. Stan Jones)
05. "I'm the Only Hell (Mama Ever Raised)" - Dez Fafara and Devildriver (orig. Johnny Paycheck)
06. "If Drinking Don't Kill Me (Her Memory Will)" - Wednesday13 and Dez Fafara (orig. George Jones)
07. "The Man Comes Around" - Lee Ving and Dez Fafara (orig. Johnny Cash)
08. "A Thousand Miles From Nowhere" - Dez Fafara, Neal Tiemann (orig. Dwight Yoakam)
09. "Copperhead Road" - Brock Lindlow, Dez Fafara (orig. Steve Earle)
10. "Dad's Gonna Kill Me" - Burton C. Bell and Dez Fafara (orig. Richard Thompson)
11. "A Country Boy Can Survive" - Dez Fafara and Devildriver (orig. Hank Williams Jr.)
12. "The Ride" - Lee Ving and Dez Fafara (orig. David Allan Coe)