UPDATE: The music video for "We Don't Need You," featuring Vic Mensa, has hit the internet, after previously airing only on Apple Music. Watch it above.
ORIGINAL STORY, 7/27/18: Rage Against the Machine's co-founder, and current Prophets of Rage guitarist, Tom Morello has announced a new solo album, The Atlas Underground, arriving October 12th via Mom + Pop Music. As with Morello's previous standalone offerings, the 12-track effort features a bevy of guest appearances from artists across the stylistic spectrum, among them Killer Mike, Big Boi, Bassnectar, GZA, RZA, Portugal. The Man, Rise Against's Tim Mcllrath, Steve Aoki, and Marcus Mumford of Mumford & Sons; also included is "Battle Sirens," his previously released track featuring EDM mainstays Knife Party.
To accompany the big announcement, Morello unveiled "We Don't Need You," a glitched-out funk-metal collaboration with Chicago rapper Vic Mensa set to appear on the forthcoming record. He also revealed the album's artwork and track-listing; scroll down to check it out.
Morello provided additional details regarding The Atlas Underground to Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich on the thrasher's Beats 1 radio show, "It's Electric!" (That just-aired interview can be streamed below via Rolling Stone).
"I wanted to make a record that was the [Jimi] Hendrix of now," he explained, singling out three key aspects of the iconic rocker's work which carry over into The Atlas Underground: "guitar playing that is outside of the norm," "jams that connect with a mass audience," and "[the creation of] a new style of music." Here, he says, the goal is to combine "Marshall stack guitar playing with the sounds of now and some of my favorite singers and rappers."
Elsewhere in the interview, Morello kiddingly classified the full-length as "email rock" (due to the hectic file-swapping that took place throughout the recording process) and gave a lighthearted reflection on how his attitudes towards electronic music writ large have shifted over the years. At one point, he revealed "No one was a [bigger] enemy of EDM than myself."
Pre-order Morello's The Atlas Underground here.
Tom Morello - The Atlas Underground Track Listing
01. "Battle Sirens" [feat. Knife Party]
02. "Rabbit's Revenge" [feat. Bassnectar, Big Boi, and Killer Mike]
03. "Every Step That I Take" [feat. Portugal. The Man and Whethan]
04. "We Don't Need You"[feat. Vic Mensa]
05. "Find Another Way" [feat. Marcus Mumford]
06. "How Long" [feat. Steve Aoki and Rise Against's Tim McIlrath]
07. "Lucky One" [feat. K.Flay]
08. "One Nation" [feat. Pretty Lights]
09. "Vigilante Nocturno" [feat. Carl Restivo]
10. "Where It's At Ain't What It Is" [feat. Gary Clark Jr. and Nico Stadi]
11. "Roadrunner" [feat. Leikeli47]
12. "Lead Poisoning"" [feat. GZA, RZA and Herobust]