Decapitated Members Released From Jail Ahead of Rape Trial | Revolver

Decapitated Members Released From Jail Ahead of Rape Trial

Polish death-metal band's trial date moved to January 16th
Decapitated 2017 Press Pic, Oscar Szramka
photograph by Oscar Szramka

All four members of Polish death-metal band Decapitated have been released from jail as they await trial for allegedly raping a woman on their tour bus in August, reports the Spokesman-Review. The men were released from a Spokane, Washington, prison on November 22nd on their own recognizance, on the conditions they remain in Washington state, surrender their passports and sign extradition waivers. The members — who are forbidden to contact each other without their lawyers present — have since taken up temporary residence in the Spokane area with attorneys and family members. The Decapitated members' trial is currently set for January 16th, 2018; they have plead not guilty.

Decapitated stand accused of kidnapping and raping a woman on their tour bus in the early morning hours after their August 31st concert at Spokane venue the Pin. Los Angeles police arrested the band on September 9th in connection with the incident; the four men were then extradited to Spokane County on charges of first-degree kidnapping. Ultimately, singer Rafal Piotrowski and guitarist Waclaw Kieltyka were charged with second degree rape, while drummer Michal Lysejko and bassist Hubert Wiecek were charged with third degree rape.

As part of their motion to have their clients released, Kieltyka's defense attorney Steve Graham and the rest of the band's legal team presented Judge Julie McKay with a letter of support from Polish Parliament member Dominik Tarczynski, as well as testimony from Andy Marsh – whose band Thy Art Is Murder was touring with Decapitated at the time of the alleged attack. Marsh stated in court documents that he saw the band's accuser in the moshpit during the show, where "she was smashing her hands, arms and body against the metal barricade between the audience and the stage." The woman previously told police she sustained bruises during the assault, according to court documents.